This year, for the first time, we get Winey Honey as Peaberries, a natural mutation in which the coffee plant produces only one seed per cherry. Packed with nutrients, this coffee is extra sweet, extra aromatic and extra delicious. Mr. Toi’s special selection and refinement of these coffee beans is something we would like to share with you.
1. Winey Honey processing starts with de-pulping the cherries.
2. All Peaberries are selected and separated from the other beans. (Peaberries are a natural mutation in 5-10% of each crop. For unknown reasons, some cherries develop only one coffee bean. These beans, because there is more space in the cherry, grow to a rounder shape and are packed with nutrients).
3. Then they are placed in stainless steel tanks to ferment for more than 70 hours in specially designed, acclimatized containers.
4. Since it is a honey, the beans are separated from the cherries and dried in their sticky layer, the mucilage, for about 10 days. During the drying process, the beans are regularly moved.
5. At the end, the coffee is visually sorted by hand one last time and then stored in GrainPro bags.